CIBOLO CREEK. The Cibolo Creek rises ten miles northwest of Boerne in southwestern Kendall County (at 29°50' N, 98°53' W) and runs southeast for 100 miles, forming the Bexar-Comal and the Bexar-Guadalupe county lines and crossing Wilson County, to its mouth on the San Antonio River, five miles northwest of Karnes City in Karnes County (at 28°57' N, 97°52' W). The creek passes through steep slopes and benches in the upper reaches and flat terrain with local shallow depressions in the middle and lower reaches. Clay and sandy loams support oak, juniper, and mesquite in the drier regions and water-tolerant hardwoods, conifers, and grasses in the middle and lower reaches of the creek.
Cibolo Creek has been identified as the one called "Xoloton" by the Coahuiltecan Indians and "Bata Coniquiyoqui" by the Indians of the Tonkawan linguistic family. The second name was noted in 1691 by Father Damian Massanet,qv but he called the stream "Santa Crecencia." Domingo Terán de los Ríos,qv on the same expedition, named the creek "San Ygnacio de Loyola." Domingo Ramónqv in 1716 called it "San Xavier," but the term "Cibolo" gradually came to be applied to the entire area. From the time of the expedition of the Marqués de San Miguel de Aguayoqv in 1721 the stream was called "Arroyo del Cibolo" or "Río Cibolo." In 1768 the Marqués de Rubíqv included Cibolo Creek in his list of sites for potential posts to solidify Spanish claims on Texas. Permanent settlement along Cibolo Creek was delayed until after the annexation of Texas to the United States. In the late 1840s and early 1850s the communities of Schertz, Tusculum (later Boerne), La Vernia, and the Pieper Settlement (later Bulverde) were established.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Carlos E. Castañeda, Our Catholic Heritage in Texas (7 vols., Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1936-1958; rpt., New York: Arno, 1976).